Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Frustration

Today has been a very frustrating day. I overslept. Bill finally woke me up at 7. So it was a scramble to feed the cat, make my lunch and grab a shower and go. Except well at 7:40 Bill wasn't ready to go. Ok, we'll just go straight to his doc appt at 9. So, I get breakfast and chill around the house and we get to the doc appt at 8:40. We get ushurred in at 8:55 and are seeing the doctor by 9. Quite a change from our last visit where we waited an hour and a half and they apparrently forgot about us.

As far as Doc appointments go, it was good. We knew what we wanted to know and the illustrious neuosurgeon conveyed to us what we needed to know. Bill has a an annular tear in a disk in his neck. It is probably what caused his problems all along (as in the last year and a half). In fact what the doctor described as classic of this tear was exactly what happened with Bill. The doctor mentioned the 3 things that work for healing: strengthening muscles, the traction, and time. Ok, DH has worked on the strengthening. After more conversations, the traction (which Bill has tried) is probably not something Bill should be continuing any more. The last one was time. The doc mentions 6-8 weeks and I'm like wait a minute this has been going on a year and half. Shouldn't that have been sufficient time for it heal or at least partially heal? So, finally option is, gulp, surgury. This is the same surgury (with the same doctor) for the most part that our friend Pam had last year. He's talking 2 weeks recovery on it. While I think this is our answer, how do you know for sure? We THOUGHT that shoulder surgury was the answer last year. Turned out it didn't do anything. The thing that I can't figure out is that the therapists have all mentioned to Bill they thought it was something with is neck, but the doctors never looked at his neck until the shoulder surgury didn't work. Sigh.

Anyway, I am a bit of wreck over this. I know DH doesn't want surgury again, but what is his other choice to be in pain the rest of his life. His mother (apparently) at Christmas said that he just needed to suck it up. Wow. She doesn't live with him. She doesn't know how bad he hurts. Ok, I don't either but I can tell his good days from his bad days. Then, the other thing is how in the world do we bring a child into this world knowing that he isn't able to do a lot of things because of his shoulder. Am going to for the rest of my life be like "I'm sorry Crackle and Pop but Daddy hurts today; so you are just going to have to leave him alone". "I'm sorry daddy can't throw a baseball".

So we get back to work fairly quickly, but then I meet my dear office manager at the bottom of the steps. It turns out I need to get a letter of continuing authority for a sewer project that was not my baby. I don't even have anything in the file that officially says it was approved. Next, I found out my new project for D's buddy down in GA is Fulton County. Ok I knew it was in Fulton County, I just didn't realize that Fulton County was Atlanta! Ok. GA guy wants me to use the regs we use in Columbia, GA. Right. Fulton County has regs on the net, so guess what I'll be doing tonight. Yippee. I just have so much little crap that I need to do at work. Everyone is like do this, do that, no wait Mary I need this. Last week, D asked me to work last weekend. Well, it was sort of a joke, but I was like no, I'm not doing it. This week, that may not be an option or at least I need to bring stuff home to work on. Everyone is waiting on me for one reason or another. I wish I could more happy about this. People have gotten laid off in my position around town. It's a small engineering community. If everyone is laying people off, that is bad. But anyway, I suppose I should get back to it and do this work that I am complaining about.

No comments:

Post a Comment