Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Are you kidding ME! We want to camp!

So, I have started to researching for our vacation. We want to camp at the locations we are going to be more than one night. I was looking at Niagra Falls and OH MY GOD! The KOA on the Canada side has a TENT CAMPING SITE with NO HOOKUPS for $48 a night. For that I am going to stay in hotel THANKS! Good grief. UGH! I need to get my days where we are going to be each night figured out so I can make some reservations. I think we are going to end up at private places because KOAs and National Parks (which we learned last year when went to Ally Springs/Jacks Fork) are just too expensive. It is for a TENT people, why, why, WHY! Anyway, I love everyone saying oh just pitch a tent, you'll save money....not always.

OK, I ran some rough numbers on our vacation:
Gas: 4000 miles (yeah this is crazy, but our trip is 3500 without any "side trips")/18 mpg (taking the truck, this probably right on) = 222.222222 gallons (cause you know it is going to be exact) * $3/gallon (high or low, I don't know, we are still 6 weeks away) = $666.6666 or we'll round up and say $800
Lodging = 14 nights, assume $20 for camping (research backs up this number) and $70 for hotels. Lets assume we will camp 6 nights = 6*20 + 8*70 = $680 (I really hope we camp more). 2 nights I should actually be with relatives (actually another night we will be with my parents, but I did not count that).
Ok that takes to about $1500. I will say we will try to stay under $2000, but factor in Maid of the Mist at Niagra and perhaps a boat trip at Bar Harbor and eeeeekkkk it adds up QUICK!

No comments:

Post a Comment