Thursday, April 2, 2009

Does a good rehearsal mean a bad performance?

I guess we will find out sunday because we had a good rehearsal on our Cantata last night. A couple songs we went through twice, but that was more because of timing issues. I was impressed. We really came together the last 2 weeks. Everyone kept telling me how impressed they were with me and my solo (which wasn't that great, I keep needing to work on my breath control for the second line) and that I have it memorized (really, you can't memorize 4 sentences when you have 4 weeks to do it). Anyway, it feels good even though I expect more of me. I am such a perfectionst. My plans have to be perfect. My singing has to be perfect. My cooking has to be perfect (well at least taste good). If company is coming, my house has to be perfect. I want to be the perfect wife (at least perfect for my husband). I realize I set the bar super high for myself. I keep wondering why I wasn't this much of a perfectionist in band in high school, but lets face it ... I didn't like it that much. I like singing, a lot. I like my job. I like cooking. I like showing off my house to company.

Of course the biggest thing with singing a solo is that I get NERVOUS. People don't realize how nervous I really get. Afterwards, I just shake. To get through this practice and last Sunday's practice I had to just close my eyes and sing. Not very attractive, but if that is the way to get
through it; I will do it. Hopefully, Sunday I will be able to look at the audience. If not, the cross is right there for me to stare at and no one will know the difference.

Anyway, I need to get back to doing a perfect job and my latest project (god I HATE this client). He needed to hire a contractor because he runs a collection agency and does not know ANYTHING about engineering and he has completely screwed the project up. (10' of fill and he didn't understand that it NEEDS to be compacted.

No comments:

Post a Comment